Vasse Play Forum
October 31, 2019
The Vasse play forum was a great success. Teachers came to share and be inspired by other early childhood teachers in what strategies and activities they could employ in their class and schools.
Attendees loved the walk through of the classroom the most and were particularly inspired hearing about how the room was set up and the investigation opportunity for the children.
Some feedback included starting a south-west play team, while other people wanted to see a school wide implementation especially into junior primary where play based learning significantly drops off. One person wanted instruction on how to promote PBL at a whole school level, and sharing with the whole school.
Play strategies, policies and statement session:
Some of the outstanding at the class level were (more detail below):
- Learning stations linked to HASS and Science
- Free choice – student driven impromptu activities (eg. Lolly shop after Fete)
Some of the outstanding at the team level were (more detail below):
- Collaborative planning in common DOTT
- Share resources
- Common DOTT for planning
- Learning Sprint Focus Meetings
Some of the outstanding at the school level were (more detail below):
- Develop Play based Learning Policy
- Whole school event – outside #BayOKDay2019
- Inquiry Learning – self – guided student centred
- The airport
- Box construction
- Vet clinics
- The Theatre for role play
- Collage and craft
- Free play – just ask why?
- The bus – conversations
- Pizza shop
- Chinese restaurant
- A zoo – transforms to vet
- Ice cream shop
- Story retell table
- Small world of 5 little ducks.
- Bowling balls – subtraction
Anonymously leave scarves out draped around trees, on climbing frames and watch what the children do with them -0 some used as head scarves (cultural customs), capes (super heroes), throw in the air (wind direction).
Tubs of water
Set up on a large table with an egg beater, detergent, float and sink items, sieves, measuring jugs – free play.